Your home is a haven for you and your family. It’s a safe place where you can relax, get comfortable, and unwind from a long day. It’s also where you create new memories and reminisce on old moments. You and your family love being at home. But did you know there are some serious electrical hazards that can arise if you don’t check on your home regularly?

In this article, Home Heating, Plumbing, Electrical & Furniture will share with you the potential electrical hazards that can arise in your home. Know that you’re not alone, either, when it comes to fixing any electrical issues. Give us a call for electrical services on your Kankakee home today!

Electrical Hazards in Your Home

Our modern reliance on electricity has spread to nearly every part of our lives. From our homes to our cars and beyond. There’s more that you need to understand past turning a switch on and seeing a bulb illuminate. How safe is your home electricity?

Hazard #1. Poor or Defective Wiring

Wires that are good quality and conform to safety standards are vital to the safety of your home. Without proper wiring, you risk more than a power shortage in an outlet. A bad wire has the potential to start a fire. Here are some signs that you have a wire hazard on your hands:

  • Loose wire connections or improperly fit outlets or switches.
  • Frayed wires or cords
  • Pierced or pinched wires or cords
  • Cracked wire insulation
  • Overheated wire or cords
  • Damaged electronics or appliances
  • Chewed electrical wires or cords

Hazard #2. Outlets Near Water

You have outlets in your kitchen, bathroom, and outdoor patio. Those outlets near water need to be safeguarded so that you and your family do not accidentally get shocked. Water is a conductor for water. Using a radio, hair dryer, or any other electronic while plugged in near water is a hazard.

Hazard #3. Damp or Wet Hands

It can be commonplace when cleaning our home to have damp or wet hands and be interacting with outlets or electronics. While this doesn’t seem like a big deal, it can be a huge hazard for you or anyone nearby. Water, as mentioned above, is a conductor for water, which means wet hands near an outlet or live wire can be a shock hazard. Make sure to dry your hands before handling any electronics or handling items that require outlets to function.

Hazard #4. Using Water to Put Out Electrical Fires

If an electrical fire does occur in your home, do not use water to put it out. While we’ve all been taught that fire puts out fire, it can cause more damage in some situations. Similar to a grease fire in the kitchen, water will only make an electrical fire worse. It’s better to use a fire extinguisher and call the fire emergency services in the area. Finally, turning off your electrical power can mitigate the fire from getting worse due to more electricity being a catalyst to the situation.

Hazard #5. Curious Children

While we love our children, they can find ways to interact with electricity that we as adults simply understand not to do. For example, we would never put a knife in an outlet. We know it will shock us. However, your children may not know this yet, which means you have a potential hazard on your hands — any unprotected outlets. It’s important to cover any outlets your children may be able to reach to keep them safe from shock.

Call for Electrical Services Today!

Don’t rely on hope alone to keep your home safe from electrical hazards. Get the experts in on the conversation and have your home inspected. Do you have any electrical repairs needed? Give us a call today!