While you might be aware that sticking your fork into a toaster is a bad plan, the other electrical dangers in your home might be a bit more shocking. If you want to ensure your home is safe from electrical fires and other electrical hazards, check out these top dangers in your home and make sure you resolve any electrical issues right away with the help of a professional.

Here at Home Furniture, Plumbing & Heating, we specialize in electrical services in Kankakee. We can help you with electrical repairs, installation, and more. Reach out today if your home is in any danger of the following risks.

A Home With Bad Wiring

Whether you recently purchased a used home and you are unsure about the condition of the wiring or you have lived in the same home for years, you could be at risk of an electrical fire if your wiring is at all faulty.

Bad wiring can be caused by a variety of factors. Sometimes the wiring was installed improperly, leading to dangerous exposed wires and a higher risk for power surges. In other cases, the wiring is old and in need of replacement. In this case, the wiring is often corroded, which will lead to poor connections and overheating wires. Make sure that if you have any questions about the condition of your home’s wiring, you reach out for professional help.

Other faulty wirings in your home can be as simple as a frayed appliance cord. If you own any appliances that have old wires that are damaged, either replace the appliance or have a professional repair it. These exposed wires can cause a fire in your home or electrocution to a member of the family.

Another common wiring issue in homes, both old and new, is chewed wiring. If rodents or other critters have gotten to your home’s wiring and taken a bite out of it, you can wind up with an electrical hazard on your hands.

Any of these faulty wiring issues can lead to fires, power surges, arc faults, and electrocution. Never ignore the signs of bad wiring and when in doubt, schedule an inspection with a professional electrician to ensure your home is safe from these hazards.

Water And Electricity Make A Lethal Combination

Another major hazard in anyone’s home is the combination of water and electricity. Something as simple as grabbing a blow dryer with sopping wet hands can lead to electrocution. Always ensure that your hands are dry when you are touching anything that is plugged into your wall.

If you have a home with outlets that are dangerously close to bathtubs or sinks, work with a professional electrician to install them in safer locations. Never mess around with the combination of water and electricity and make sure every family member understands the danger of this pairing.

Curiosity Can Be Dangerous

Whether you have a young child running around the home or a new puppy, curiosity can lead to dangerous situations. Many children will go through a stage where they want to stick things in outlets or, even worse, stick their own fingers into electrical sockets. If you have young kids in the home, make sure you utilize outlet protectors and as your child ages, ensure they are aware of how dangerous electricity can be.

If you have recently welcomed a new dog into the home, you should also utilize outlet protectors. Many dogs, particularly puppies, will curiously sniff and lick anything within snoop level, which leaves many outlets at the perfect height for trouble.

Improper Use Of Extension Cords

Did you know? Extension cords are only meant to be used temporarily and not as permanent wiring. If you have extension cords running throughout your home, taking the place of normal wiring, you could be putting your home at risk. Only use extension cords for a short period of time and then unplug them and put them away. Never string extension cords throughout your property or leave them plugged in constantly.

Extension cords can easily overheat, which can lead to an electrical fire. Remember, if an electrical fire starts, do not throw water on the fire. Instead, use a fire extinguisher and call the fire department. Using water on an electrical fire can lead to electrocution as water is an excellent conductor of electricity.

Light Bulbs Can Lead To Fires

A lesser-known electrical risk in the home is actually found in one of the most common components of your home — light bulbs. These small but powerful electrical components can lead to a fire if they are too close to other items. For example, if a drape is hanging against a lamp and rests on the light bulb for hours on end, it can lead to a fire breaking out in the home. Make sure that any light fixtures have plenty of space for the heat of the light bulb to escape.

Call In The Electrical Pros

If your home is in need of electrical repairs or installation, make sure you call in the professionals to do the job. Electrical wiring in your home can be extremely dangerous to work on and if it is not installed properly, it can put your family at risk. Electricity is powerful and deadly when misused. To ensure you and your family stay safe, have your electrical wiring inspected by a professional, get rid of any appliances with frayed wiring, and teach the whole family about electrical safety.

If you are looking for electrical services in Kankakee, give our team a call today. We can help you keep your lights on and your home safe.