The Illinois summers can be brutal. From the heat to the humidity, there are some days at the end of July and in August where your body begins to sweat even before you step outside your door. Yet running your air conditioning 24/7 can be incredibly expensive. But did you know by using the power of your often-overlooked, inauspicious ceiling fan, you can cut your cooling bill and potentially not have to call Home Furniture, Plumbing, Electrical & Heating in Kankakee for AC service or AC repair. Don’t get us wrong, we love to help you with AC maintenance services, but we’d rather your air conditioning run smoothly without our intervention. In this blog post, we’ll discuss the power of the lowly ceiling fan in order to help reduce your air conditioning bill in the hot Kankakee summers. Contact us today for all your HVAC needs!
HOW TO USE A CEILING FAN TO HELP WITH COOLING
Air conditioning is one of the most expensive sources of electrical use. A ceiling fan, however, costs about one cent an hour to run. Thus, using a ceiling fan to cool your home can result in huge savings over the course of a hot Kankakee summer. In order to save energy costs, you need to know how a ceiling fan works.
How does a ceiling fan work?
A ceiling fan feels cool to your skin due to something called the wind-chill effect. The wind-chill effect is where the air brushes your skin, evaporating sweat, which hence makes you feel cooler even though the temperature in the room is hotter. A ceiling fan has no effect on room temperature whatsoever. This means that leaving a ceiling fan running all day while you’re at work has no effect whatsoever on the temperature in your room or home and only has an effect on your electric bill, which is high enough in the summer months.
That being said, one school of thought says that a running ceiling fan can affect the horrid humidity you experience in the summer months here in Kankakee, as well as help prevent mold growth.
So how do ceiling fans help with cooling costs? Home Furniture, Plumbing, Electrical, and Heating in Kankakee recommends:
- Only run your ceiling fan when you’re home.
- By using your ceiling fan as a cooling device, you can effectively raise the temperature of your thermostat, which makes the air conditioner run less, without affecting your overall comfort level.
Other ceiling fan tips to reduce cooling costs
- Optimize the height of your ceiling fan. Home Furniture, Plumbing, Electrical, and Heating in Kankakee recommends you install your ceiling fan at least eight feet high, giving your blades a foot of ceiling space.
- Energy Star ceiling fans are about 20 percent more efficient in moving your room’s air than other ceiling fans.
- Intuitively, the larger the ceiling fan, the better the cooling job. However, be wary of the aesthetics of your room as well. A huge ceiling fan over your bed may look gaudy and not exactly have the best resale value when you go to sell your home.
- Close blinds and curtains to keep your home cooler, as you are blocking out the sun’s rays that warm a room when they enter.
Home Furniture, Plumbing, Electrical, and Heating in Kankakee recognizes the value of ceiling fans in a top-notch effort to keep your home and office cool during the blistering summer months. We offer all manners of air conditioning services should you need us, from air conditioning maintenance to AC repair and AC installation. We also offer comprehensive air conditioning tune-ups, which are designed to keep your current AC units running strong every year. By investing in air conditioning maintenance, you can keep your air conditioning energy-efficient and lasting longer than if you did nothing. Contact us today for your AC maintenance!
HOW TO USE A CEILING FAN TO HELP WITH HEATING
The same principles apply for heating when using a ceiling fan. Simply reverse the ceiling fan’s rotation of its blades. This will help push warm air down, which not only keeps you and your room warmer, but also helps the heat to stay in rather than escape through your ceiling, windows, and ultimately, your roof. Similarly, you’ll be able to lower your thermostat by a few degrees since the ceiling fan is helping you stay warm, which will help lower your heating costs.
Home Furniture, Plumbing, Electrical, and Heating also offers the best furnace repair, furnace installation, and furnace replacement services in Kankakee. Just like we offer AC preventive maintenance solutions, we also offer heating preventive maintenance service in order to keep your furnace running strong. You’ll increase the lifespan of your furnace, as well as keep the heating efficiency top-notch, resulting in long-term savings. Contact us today for all your HVAC needs!