Summers in Illinois can be brutal. You have to fight the summer heat and the humidity, and even if you have air conditioning installed by your local air conditioning service company, it can be miserable. You know it’s bad when you step outside and you start sweating. Still, it’s important to conserve water, especially in the summer months. In this blog post, Home Furniture, Plumbing, Electrical & Heating in Kankakee, the best local plumber, will go over tips on how to save water in the hot summer months. When you are in need of plumbing installation, AC maintenance, or HVAC repair, contact us today!
TIPS TO SAVE WATER IN THE SUMMER FROM YOUR LOCAL PLUMBER
- Check for toilet leaks. Believe it or not, this is a common plumbing problem that can not only waste water, but cost you in your water bill in the long run. An easy way that Home Furniture, Plumbing, Electrical & Heating in Kankakee recommends checking for this is to put a few drops of food coloring into your toilet tank. If the food coloring shows up in your toilet bowl, you have a leak, which over the course of a day could be wasting 100 gallons of water. That’s a lot of water! Sometimes, the source of the leak is a rubber flapper that has just worn down and needs to be replaced. If that doesn’t work, a call to your local plumber (that’s us!) is in order to find the source of the toilet leak and save water and money in the process.
- Check for toilet flushes and/or things “accidentally” flushed down the toilet. During the summer, kids are bored. And, let’s admit it, toilets are fascinating and fun. When kids have time on their hands, oftentimes, things get flushed down the toilet. If your toilet becomes clogged due to bored children, your local plumber, Home Furniture, Plumbing, Electrical & Heating in Kankakee, can help (and we won’t judge, either!).
- Shorten your shower. You’ve probably heard this tip many times, but have you actually done it? Consider this fact: by just cutting off two minutes to your shower, you save 1,750 gallons of water per person every year. That’s a lot of water! Another solution that Home Furniture, Plumbing, Electrical & Heating in Kankakee can help with is to install water-efficient shower heads, toilets, and even faucets. This will definitely save you hundreds of gallons of water in the long run, as well as hundreds of dollars as well. Give your local plumber a call to make your home energy efficient.
- Check for outdoor plumbing leaks. Most of us have spickets on the outside of our home. Did you know that they are prone to leaking as well, especially in the summer months when your water is turned on? You’ll want to make sure these faucets aren’t leaking, and if they are, to call your local plumber, Home Furniture, Plumbing, Electrical & Heating in Kankakee, immediately. Again, this is not only wasting water that you should be conserving, but it is also wasting your money — money you could be spending on your summer vacation someplace cool!
- Check for indoor faucet leaks. While you’re checking your spickets, check your indoor faucets as well. Over time, these all can leak from wear and tear, leading to hundreds of gallons of wasted water over the course of a year. Your local plumber can have indoor faucet leaks patched up in no time.
- Check your disposal and under your sinks. Sinks and disposals are common sources of leaks that often go unnoticed due to their location and due to the design of the trap (U-shaped pipe part) that can become clogged. Unlike faucets that drip into sinks, leaky pipes or garbage disposals can cause water damage to your cabinets and lead to mold growth — something you definitely don’t want to have to deal with.
- Check your hoses. Washing machine hoses are notorious for leaks, especially if it’s been a while since you’ve replaced them. You’ll want to make sure your hose has no links and is not kinked. You’ll also want to check the hoses outside and to the dishwasher periodically as well. If you do discover a leak, give Home Furniture, Plumbing, Electrical & Heating in Kankakee a call. We can schedule a service call (or an emergency plumber if need be) to get your hoses fixed and/or replaced promptly.
- Water your lawn responsibly. Don’t water your lawn in the middle of the day when it’s the hottest and the water you are spewing forth will evaporate the fastest. Water in the cooler parts of the day or night to allow the water to soak in. Also, regularly inspect your water sprinkler system for leaks, especially if you have them programmed to go off in the middle of the night. A water leak can easily go unchecked if you don’t.
HOW CONSERVING WATER CAN HELP ALL OF US
The advent of modern plumbing is definitely one of the top inventions of humans, bar none. After all, using the toilet in the comfort of your home during a snowstorm in Kankakee makes you appreciative of this grand invention. However, like everything made by humans, time and the elements take their toll, and wear and tear sets in. It’s crucial to have your pipes inspected if for no other reason than to ensure your toilet and indoor plumbing work. After all none of us want to go back to the Stone Age.
Harnessing fresh water also ranks as one of humans’ best accomplishments with the advent of water treatment facilities. Fresh water is vital to human life, and when we indiscriminately waste fresh water, we are not only being irresponsible, but we are also using more energy to recycle that water. Furthermore, taking care of our water supply is vital as the world population grows. The spread of diseases from waterborne viruses and bacteria are still commonplace in other parts of the world. By conserving water, we are doing our part to make our fresh water supply last.
By saving water, you are also saving energy as we don’t have to treat water that was wasted through mechanical means. With every gallon of water saved, you are also saving on your energy bill as well. Hence, enjoy the modern convenience of fresh water; just be smart about it.
HOW HOME FURNITURE, PLUMBING, ELECTRICAL & HEATING IN KANKAKEE CAN HELP
Home Furniture, Plumbing, Electrical & Heating in Kankakee offers the best plumbing services, HVAC services, and electrical services. We offer air conditioning repair, as well as furnace repair, to keep you comfortable all year long. We offer lighting design solutions to keep the lights on, and we offer local electricians to make sure your wiring is right. We are also an emergency plumber and emergency HVAC company, meaning when you need us in the middle of winter when your furnace goes out in the middle of the night, we’re there.
As you can see from our services, we’re in the comfort business. We keep you comfortable day and night, winter, summer, fall, and spring, and 365 days a year. We even offer furniture so you can have comfortable places to sit, lay down, and place your iced cold beverage in the middle of the hot summer months. With Home Furniture, Plumbing, Electrical & Heating in Kankakee, you can rest assured that we will improve your rest. Give us a call today for all your comfort needs!