Let’s face it, without light, well, the world would be a pretty dark place outside of daylight hours. When the moon was full, you could use that for outdoor lighting. But if it was a new moon, you’d be out of luck. Luckily, humans learned to harness the power of electrical charges, lighting our world and making it infinitely more enjoyable to live.
Home Furniture, Plumbing, Electrical, and Heating offers the best HVAC, plumbing, and electrical services in Kankakee. From electrical upgrades to electrical installations, we’ve got you covered. Our certified electricians are experts in lighting and what works best for your home. We can design your lighting solutions for soft lighting or more bright, task lighting or for warmth to evoke a cozy feeling. When you partner with us for all your lighting needs, you’ll be sure to feel illuminated. In this blog post, we’ll review several types of light fixtures for your home that can add value, add light, and add mood. Contact us today to get started!
TYPES OF LIGHTING
Before we dive into the types of light fixtures, let’s review the three kinds of lighting so you know exactly what to look for when choosing light fixtures.
- Ambient lighting. This lighting sets the tone or the mood of the room since it is the type of lighting that lights up the entire room. A common name for ambient lighting is general lighting.
- Accent lighting. Like the name implies, accent lighting accents items in the room. For example, lighting on a particular painting or a mirror is a great example of accent lighting.
- Task lighting. Task lighting is meant to help you execute tasks more efficiently by being able to see better. Common tasks for better lighting are reading, cooking, and work space lighting.
No matter what type of lighting you are interested in, Home Furniture, Plumbing, Electrical & Heating can help. We offer electrical upgrades to your home or business, such as rewiring, installing a new electrical panel, or new outlets. As your local electrician in Kankakee, we offer the best electrical work. Contact us today for electrical upgrade services!
TYPES OF LIGHT FIXTURES
- Ceiling-mounted lighting. As the name says, these light fixtures hang from the ceiling, with the most common being those that are shaded to conceal the light bulb. Ceiling lighting would fall under the ambient lighting category as most of the time these types of light fixtures are the main source of light in a room. One of the first types of lighting to become standard in American homes and businesses, ceiling lighting has been around for over 100 years. Ceiling fans could fall under this category as many people usually use them for their main source of lighting in the room; however, most of the time, they are classified under ceiling fans.
- Pendants. Pendant lights are lights that hang from the ceiling, usually by a cable, with a shade around the light to direct it downwards. These lovely little guys are popular in the kitchen or over a table for task lighting, or, in the case of multiple pendants, for ambient lighting. Pendants come in a wide variety of styles. Home Furniture, Plumbing, Electrical & Heating in Kankakee recommends that you use pendant lighting to set the style of your room and express yourself.
- Recessed lighting. Enormously popular, recessed lighting is lighting that is recessed, or hidden, inside the ceiling. Recessed lighting gives your home a clean, modern feel without having to worry about bumping your head on lights. There does need to be sufficient space above your head and ceiling in order to install these classic light fixtures. Recessed lighting can be used for every type of lighting, from ambient, task, or accent lighting. Home Furniture, Plumbing, Electrical & Heating in Kankakee recommends installing recessed lighting not only for your use, but also for resale value, as potential homebuyers love this type of lighting. Since you need to ensure recessed lighting does not leak condensation, it is recommended that you call us, your local electrician, for proper installation.
- Track lighting. For the longest time, track lighting was mainly used by art museums to showcase the latest acquired artwork, from a Monet to a Picasso. This type of lighting is hung along a track above your head that itself is then mounted to the ceiling. The advantage to track lighting is, unlike recessed lighting, the heads of the lamps can be moved, which makes this type of lighting a very versatile lighting to have in your home or art museum when you need to move things around. Kitchens have become a popular place to install track lighting in homes since they require task or accent lighting.
- Wall sconces. So we’ve mainly seen lighting that has been mounted to a ceiling. However, the wall is a great place to mount lights as well. Wall sconces are another way to let your inner self shine through as these can be incredibly ornate or plain and simple. Mainly for task lighting or accent lighting, wall sconces are great to have by your bedside to read by at night. They can be easily reached and provide just enough extra light to help with the word on the page. Popularly hung at eye level or at a level easily reached, wall sconces can have the light be reflected up or down as needed.
- Desk, floor, and table lamps. Probably the first light fixture you bought when you moved out of your parents’ home was a desk or a table lamp. These guys are versatile and able to be moved around from place to place as needed. Mainly used as task lighting, desk lamps can make a world of difference as you’re studying for an exam or working on your computer late at night. They mainly face light downwards and are another great lighting feature to customize as these lamps hang out at eye level. That being said, these lamps are also the most frequently broken when your kids decide playing kickball in the house is a good idea, or you fumble for a light in the middle of the night. If you have big dogs, Home Furniture, Plumbing, Electrical & Heating warns that lamps are often frequent targets of happy tails wagging when you arrive home from work.
- Cove lighting. Previously popular for commercial use, cove lighting is the type of lighting that you see near the ceiling but is hidden behind a faux wall. Cove lighting usually sets the mood as relaxing, so these light fixtures are popular in gym dressing rooms and spas where massages and other relaxation techniques are often performed. Cove lighting is becoming popular in residences in extra rooms, such as man caves or entertainment areas for TV watching due to their soothing nature.
- Under cabinet lighting. If you have under cabinet lighting in your kitchen or bathroom, you know what a life saver this task lighting can be. Self-explanatory, under cabinet lighting adds value to your home and allows you to see the onion you are cutting by ten fold, helping to eliminate the risk of accidentally cutting your finger for those of us that are accident prone.
- Chandeliers. Technically a type of ceiling-mounted lighting, chandeliers are often classified separately due to the sophisticated feeling they evoke. Chandeliers can be as simple or as fancy as you like with the vast majority of this type of ambient lighting either being hung in the entranceway or over your kitchen table. Home Furniture, Plumbing, Electrical & Heating in Kankakee recommends that chandeliers be another great place to let your style shine through.
THE BEST COMMERCIAL AND RESIDENTIAL ELECTRICIANS IN KANKAKEE
Home Furniture, Plumbing, Electrical & Heating understands that you have choices for your electrical needs here in Kankakee. However, we know we offer the best lighting design solutions for your home or office. Our professional electricians are here to help you make your home, well, home. No one likes to come home to a dark, dingy place where spiders and monsters lurk around every corner. When you partner with us, our professional electricians can bring the best lighting solution to you. From the type of light fixture that suits you and your home or office best to electrical upgrades and installation, we have got all of your electrical needs covered.
Our electrical installation services range from the smallest of projects to the largest commercial jobs. Whether you are remodeling your home or expanding your business, we’re here to help. And while we’re helping you with all of your electrical needs, remember that we also offer the best in HVAC services, plumbing repair needs, and furniture. Whether your hot water heater is being uncooperative or your toilet needs to be replaced, we’ve got those services covered as well. Don’t go another day in the Kankakee heat, or spend another minute trying to fix your furnace. As your local electrician and HVAC specialist, Home Furniture, Plumbing, Electrical & Heating always puts your needs first. Contact us today for all of your electrical needs!